|Formation path - final chapter|
Now it's a matter of choosing, to understand what to do. In the previous chapter we have explained what is a personale HUB and why it is so important implementarne a for the profirst home automation.
The choice, we say it immediately, is mainly guided by the final management tools a proavailable.
We can divide the scenarios as broadly as possible in three:
- availability of only tools (final management) Appthe;
- almeno a tool Apple, the rest based on Android and / or PC Windows/ Linux;
- alone Android and / or PC tools Windows/ Linux.
Only instruments Apple
In case all those who are qualified to control home automation have un device Appthe iOS (and maybe at home there is also an iMac and / or a MacBook), then the road is downhill. There is no need for much more than Homebridge.
This because half of the work is already done: all the relative part automation is already available in the palm of your hand within theapplished here "House of Appthe iOS and macOS. Indeed, Apple HomeKit (this is called the domotic environment of Appthe) it is already itself a personale HUB, but what can be done is to expand its possibilities.
Therefore only one is missing BRIDGE/Gateway in which all non-natively compatible accessories will converge Appthe HomeKits you want to add and, for this, there is for theappgreasy Homebridge and its plugins.
Nb. When we talk about personale HUB in the field Applet's talk about Homebridge in a slightly im wayprofirst, because as said HomeKit is already in itself a HUB. Homebridge in fact supports him, therefore for ease we will consider personale HUB all given by Homebridge+ HomeKit.
Nb The home automation world linked to the ecosystem Apple is not the best world possible. Presents many limits, but in the end it is a good comproput. If you plan to make use of it not particularly pushed of domotics but you are satisfied with simple things (lights, heating, small automations), then the road is the aforementioned.
We recommend di profollow however reading.
A tool Appsurrounded by different tools (Android, PC ...)
In this scenario three roads can be traveled.
- La prima strada - the simplest, but not optimal - is to implement Homebridge - as if there were only tools Appthem. It will then be sufficient to also install the “Homebridge UI-X " to make Homebridge, in addition to appearing in an expected manner towards the instrument Appthe, expose also a web interface through which all the other final management tools present in the family can control the Home accessoriesbridge, as shown in the figure:
However, this road has several limitations. First and foremost, it is always a question of using home automation Appwhich works well, but is limited. Secondly, the tools do notAppthey are confined to the use of a web interface.
- The second way provides more steps, but provides undoubtedly better results:
- implement un personal HUBsoftware like Home Assistant or a hardware like Homey at which to configure any home automation component that can be integrated with it HUB (it is a over-together compared to those that can be integrated with Homebridge).
- that done, configuration the relevant component to make the devices Appthe iOS "see" and therefore control all the domotic entities integrated in theHUB; In this way it will be possible to control all the domotic entities is from devices Appthe iOS (app "Home") is other devices (via app furniture, web and more);
- decide where to "position" the automations: for convenience, it will be possible to define them at theapp "Home" (easier, but not recommended) or at theHUB (more difficult, but recommended).
example of the web interface of Home Assistant:
- La terza strada, directly implement a personal HUBdisregarding the world Apple, and therefore delegating management, automation and remote control to the proprio HUB personal.
To check home automation:
- Owners of Android devices will:
- Device owners Apple will:
- choose to no use theapp Appthe "Casa" but le appmobile licenses or web interfaces related topersonal HUBchoice (for example of this approis explained on the card dedicated to the "iOS" component of Home Assistant, component dedicated to the use ofapp mobile “Home Assistant Companion" for Appi iOS);
- choose to use theapp "Home" simply implementing (as anticipated above) components of theHUB chosen to expose towards Appthe HomeKit the home automation entities configured at theHUB same (for example the "HomeKit" component of Home Assistant, component capable of rendering Home Assistant un BRIDGE/Gateway compatible Appthe HomeKit).
All instruments other than Apple
At this point the choice is only one, or the same that in the previous case is the "third way": install a personal HUBsoftware between Home Assistant e openHAB (Or even Domoticz, or else, but we are confident about the first two) - or a HUB hardware like Homey - and configure, centralizing everything, up there.
Compliments! Your training path is complete.
Now you know what home automation is about, you understand what we are talking about, what are the potentials and the limits.
Well, now what?
You'll get a picture, right?
If you have chosen the road that leads to HOMEY, click here.