Category: online service
Implementation difficulties: medio/bassa
IFTTT is a free online service that is very useful not only for domotics but, more generally, for automating repetitive actions.
IFTTT is indeed stands of "If THIS then THAT", or "If THIS happens, do this OTHER"
Through the site or theapp of IFTTT it is in fact possible to create simple chains of events that trigger an action when they arise.
The terms used by IFTTT are:
- Services (Services). They are the "basic building blocks of IFTTT". They describe a series of data for a specific web service, such as YouTube or eBay. They can also concern actions controlled by APIs such as text messages. They can also rappresign weather or stock information. Each Service has propri trigger e action.
- Triggers (Trigger). They correspond to the "THIS" part of a chain. These are the elements that initiate an action. For example, from an RSS feed (RSS feed) you can receive notifications based on a specific word or phrase.
- Actions (Shares). They correspond to the "THAT" part of a chain. They are the result of what started trigger.
- AppLatvian. They are the set formed by trigger e action. For example, the like of a photo in Instagram (trigger) will upload the photo to the Dropbox account (action).
- Ingredients (Ingredients). They are individual data made available by a trigger. For example, the trigger related to emails can return the subject, the body and the date of receipt of the message, the attachment and the sender's address.
there a very large amount of triggerif of actions, which makes this service ideal not only for home automation but also for everyday use, for example:
- if a certain word is posted on Twitter, send me the tweet via email;
- if the temperature drops below three degrees, send me an SMS;
- if the humidity in the room exceeds 80%, turn on the dehumidifier automatically
and so on.
A list of features available here.
The degree of home automation integrability it's quite high as IFTTT is committed, with the collaboration of producers (who have every interest in guaranteeing it), to supply always new additions.
This causes that whole lines of home automation components are supported (both as triggers that how actions) which allows users to make different components interact with each other and with external elements of any kind.
Pro It is against
IFTTT it is an extremely convenient service because it is simple to use, more or less usable by anyone, it is free and works well after all.
Many, however, consider it - in the domotic environment - a valid ally to the point of identifying it as the proman central automation, thing which instead is not. First of all, in order for it to work it must be guaranteed the perennial and constant presence of an Internet connection; secondly, the degree of automation customization is related to the degree of complexityà the elements made available by the IFTTT website.
We can therefore advise you warmly IFTTT for all that concerns the extra domotic environment, while for domotics no: for this, in addition to small experiments and small automations, the advice of inDomus is always to independently implement a personale HUB (see following article).