|Proconductor: ZigBee Alliance|
Type: proradio transmission protocol
Implementation difficulties: low
ZigBee it is basically one of the possible technological elements (accessories) constituents the nervous system of our home automation environment.
Specifically, it is a proopen standard radio communication protocol such as to allow communications between a central element (a collector, say) and one or more home automation components (actuators, devices, sensors, etc.) present in the profirst home automation environment. It differs from the Wi-Fi (which, conceptually, has a similar role) in the fact of being conceived mainly for home automation use, making the low power consumption and good distance covered (up to 100 meters in open field) the strengths.
The transmission speed instead it is very low: about 20 kbps, but this is not a proproblem: what is needed in this area is reliability, not so much a large transmission capacity, and in this respect ZigBee it is a more than adequate standard. ZigBee it also provides for the (automatic) adoption of logics of mesh network, therefore the coverage is not limited only to the radio range of the central node but to the "umbrella" signal determined by the possible presence of more repeaters.
Usually approcci in the use of accessories ZigBee in personal home automation they are three:
- is introduced in the profirst home automation a line products usually composed from a central device (a BRIDGE/Gateway, or coordinator) and satellite accessories to connect to it (as happens for example with “Xiaomi Mi Smart Home", or "LUMI Aqara Smart Home Automation"): The control of the entire ecosystem will then take place via connection TCP/IP tra il gateway and l 'app mobile for smartphone / tablet, which typically accompanies the line products;
- follow the road number 1 for then though integration il gateway of the line products al proprio personale HUB (for example, the integration of gateway Xiaomi a Home Assistant), so as to check the satellite accessories through theHUB;
- we give ourselves of a BRIDGE/Gateway ZigBee software (given for example by the binomial deCONZ+ConBee, or zigbee2mqtt+CC2531): satellite accessories (at this point also of different brands) will connect to it and will be managed via personal home automation, integrating this BRIDGE/Gateway al proprio personal HUB(Home Assistant, openHAB etc).
Il second and third approccio are those that, it goes without saying, allow to obtain the best results in terms of flexibility and scalability thanks to the wide degree of integration obtained thanks to the adoption of HUB personal.
There are three types of devices ZigBee (Source Wikipedia ):
- ZigBee Coordinator (ZC): it is the most "intelligent" device among those available, it constitutes the root of a network ZigBee and can act as a bridge between multiple networks. There can be only one "Coordinator" in each network. It is also able to store information about its network and can act as a repository for security keys.
- ZigBee Router (ZR): these devices act as intermediate routers passing data to and from other devices. In fact there are no hardware distinctions between a ZC and a ZR except that it is released to coordinator the role of initializing the network, after which they become identical devices.
- ZigBee End Device (ZED): include only the minimum functionalities to communicate with the parent node (Coordinator or Router), they cannot transmit data procoming from other devices and therefore not participating in the multi-hop of a message; they are the nodes that require the least amount of memory and are therefore often cheaper than ZRs or ZCs.
Some of lots accessories based on ZigBee tested by inDomus are the following:
- App Homey "Xiaomi / Aqara ZigBee”
- CC2531 (BRIDGE/Gateway USB Zigbee)
- ConBee (BRIDGE/Gateway USB Zigbee)
- ConBee II (BRIDGE/Gateway USB Zigbee)
- deCONZ (BRIDGE/Gateway software ZigBee)
- Homey, personal hardware HUB
- LUMI Aqara - Sensorand vibration
- RaspBee (BRIDGE/Gateway ZigBee for Raspberry Pi)
- Xiaomi line “Mi Smart Home"(Mijia)
- Xiaomi Mijia / LUMI Aqara - (Magic) Cube
- Xiaomi Mijia / LUMI Aqara - flooding sensor
- Xiaomi Mijia / LUMI Aqara - door opening sensor
- Xiaomi Mijia / LUMI Aqara - smoke sensor by Honeywell
- Xiaomi Mijia / LUMI Aqara - temperature, humidity and pressure sensor
- zigbee2mqtt (BRIDGE/Gateway software ZigBee)